Collection of Biometric Details from New Passport Applicants
The Department of Immigration and Emigration (DIE) will collect biometric details (fingerprints) from new passport applicants between the ages of 16 to 60 years applying in Sri Lanka from 15 August 2015 onwards and from applicants applying through Sri Lanka Missions abroad from 01 January 2018.
Further details can be obtained from the following link: http://www.immigration.gov.lk/web/index.php?lang=en
General Advice to be followed when applying for a New Passport
- A Passport is valid for TEN YEARS. The validity of the passport cannot be extended beyond 10 years from the date of issue. If the passport does not have sufficient pages for visa endorsements/ is more than 10 years old, a new passport must be obtained.
- The inclusion of Children in Parents Passport is NO Longer Allowed. Children will be issued with Separate Passports.
- Both parents should consent to the issuance of a passport to a child below the age of 16. The passport will be valid for THREE YEARS.
- Applications of new Passports handed over to Missions will be forwarded to the Controller of Immigration and Emigration, Sri Lanka, who is the sole authority to issue Passports. Sri Lanka Missions abroad are only authorized to issue Temporary Travel Documents; Non-Machine Readable Passports (NMRP) and to make alterations and amendments to existing travel documents.
- All incomplete applications will be returned and payment will not be refunded.
- Under normal circumstances, it takes approximately 8 to10 weeks to process a Passport application. The processing time may vary. Applicants are advised to apply for new passports well in advance with supporting documents to avoid inconvenience.
- It is a punishable offence to furnish false information, submit fraudulent or forged documents, to abstain from declaring particulars of travel document presently held, and to attempt/ obtain another travel document while being in possession of a valid travel document.
New Passport (All Countries)
- Application: Form K35A
- Original Birth Certificate(Translations are not accepted)
- Citizenship Certificate(if born outside Sri Lanka)
- Three passport size photographs(3.5 cm X 4.5 cm)
Colour, matt finish (gloss or semi-gloss photographs will not be accepted) Face should be straight, both ears should be visible, without spectacles and the photographs should be taken within 3 months of the application in a professional studio.
Photos of first-time applicant/application in lieu of a lost passport should be attested.
- Current passport (if not lost)
- Proof of the applicant’s status:
Copy of Work Permit/Study Permit / Visa etc.
- Children under the age of 16 (additional documents)
Parents’ Consent Letter (with authentication of both parents’ signature)
If, one parent is dead, the Death Certificate
If, parents are divorced, the court order indicating the legal custody of the child
If, adopted, court order in respect of the adoption of the child
- Lost Passport (additional documents)
Copy of Police Complaint
Stolen or lost passport complaint form
- Dual Citizens (additional documents)
Original Dual Citizenship Certificate
Copy of the data page of the foreign passport
- Fee in Cash: US Dollars or equivalent in Kenyan currency informed by the High Commission.
The following fees will be charged when applying for a passport depending on the documents provided by the applicant. A Non-Machine Readable Passport (NMRP) will be issued on request in the event the applicant requires a temporary passport (one way to Sri Lanka) till the new passport is processed by the Department of Immigration and Emigration.
New passport: US$150/-
New passport with NMRP: US$175/-
If a passport is lost: US$350/-
Lost passport with NMRP: US$375/-
Instructions for Completing Form K35A
- The application should be filled in BLOCK LETTERS
- Signature of the applicant should be placed inside the signature cage and should not touch the borders of the cage.
- In case of a child, who is unable to sign, one of the parents should write part of the child’s name in the signature cage.
- Photographs should be affixed to the application.
- In case of first time applicant/application in lieu of a lost passport, the declaration by the applicant, the applicant’s photographs and signatures in page No. “02” should be attested by a Notary, Medical Practitioner, Lawyer, Civil Servant, Chief incumbent of a temple, Professor of a University or a person of similar status living in Kenya.
Application for a Non-Machine Readable Passport (NMRP)
A Non-Machine Readable Passport (NMRP) valid for six months will be issued to enable a Sri Lankan national to return to Sri Lanka under the following emergency circumstances:
When a passport is lost
When a passport is expired
- Request letter to issue an NMRP giving the circumstance of emergency
- Duly filled application form K35A
- Expired passport or if lost, the copy of lost passport /Original Birth Certificate/ National Identity Card
- Police Report (If a passport is lost)
- Stolen or lost passport complaint form
- Citizenship Certificate (If the applicant is a citizen by registration)
Three Passport size photographs (3.5 cm X 4.5 cm) Colour, matt finish (gloss or semi-gloss photographs will not be accepted).
The face should be straight, both ears should be visible and the photographs should be taken within 3 months of the application in a professional studio.
- Fee in Cash: US Dollars or Equivalent in Kenyan Currency informed by the High Commission