The registration of birth of a child under the Births and Deaths Registration Ordinance must under normal circumstances be made within three months of the birth.
However, if a child of a citizen of Sri Lanka is born abroad, there is an additional requirement under the Citizenship Act that such a birth should be registered within one year at the Sri Lanka Mission in the country of birth or at the Citizenship Division of the Ministry of Defence in Colombo and such children should obtain a Citizenship Certificate from the same Division. Therefore, when an application is made for the registration of birth under the Births and Deaths Registration Ordinance, a valid application for the registration of the child under the Citizenship Act should also be made. Such applications for Citizenship Certificates are forwarded to the Citizenship Division which will process the application and send the Citizenship Certificates to the same Diplomatic Mission for onward transmission to the applicant.
The Citizenship Division of the Ministry of Defence is now located at 3rd Floor, 41 Ananda Rajakaruna Mawatha, Colombo 10, Sri Lanka (Phone: 94-11-5329240).
If the application for registration of birth is made after 03 months, the reason for the delay should be given in writing at the time of making the application. If the application is made after 1 year, such applications are forwarded to the Registrar General in Colombo for a decision. In such cases, an additional declaration form should be completed.
A child’s birth may be registered in Sinhala, Tamil, or English languages and when the application is made for the registration of a birth, the preferred language should be indicated.
Please note that when you are filing the application “Column-2-Name” should be the Name given to the Child.
- Application for Registration of a birth outside Sri Lanka. Citizenship Form Act No 18 of 1948
- Declaration of Birth under Section 16 of the Birth and Death Registration Act. (if within 3 months) Registration B-4 Form or after three months Declaration of Birth Under Section 24, Registration B-6 Form
- Declaration of Citizenship of father/mother as per specimen attached. (signature should be notarized) The notarization can be done at the presence of an officer of the High Commission. Normal attestation charges of US$50/- will be levied.
These three forms should be submitted along with the originals and three photocopies of the following documents.
- The Birth Certificate issued by the competent authority in the country of birth of the child.
- Passports of father and mother
- Original Birth Certificates of parents. (not translations)
- Original Marriage Certificate of parents. (not translations)
- Father’s and Mother’s present status in Kenya (Work Permit / Citizenship Certificate / Study Permit etc)
Consular Fee for Registration of Birth:
Registration of Birth and issuance of certificate: US$25/-
Citizenship certificate: US$45/-
Notarization of Declaration of Citizenship: US$50/-
Additional charge for delayed registration (per year): US$05/-
Additional copy of Birth Certificate: US$13/-
- Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence. Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.