Taking into consideration the evolving global circumstances and high risk associated with COVID 19, Sri Lanka High Commission will limit work and will offer the following Consular services,in order to minimize the exposure.
- Issuance of Emergency Travel Document for Sri Lankan Citizens
- Issuance of Certification related to death of Sri Lankan National.
- Any other emergency services considered necessary
- Urgent inquires regarding COVID-19 Pandemic
Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA)
- ETA is an official authorization for a Short Visit to Sri Lanka and is issued electronically. The ETA is introduced with the intention of providing an efficient, reliable and simplified service to those who visit Sri Lanka. ETA holders will be issued a 30 day Short Visit Visa at the port of entry in Sri Lanka. The ETA is effective from 1st of January 2012.
- The ETA is issued through an online system. No passport copies, documents or photographs are not required. There is no requirement to endorse the ETA on the passport.
- Upon arrival, produce your passport to the immigration officer at the port of entry to obtain necessary clearance. It is advisable to take a copy of the ETA approval.
- Children Under the Age of 12 are exempt from the ETA processing fee.
The following nationals & categories are exempt from ETA
- The Republic of Singapore
- The Republic of Maldives
- The Republic of Seychelles
- Crew members of flights/ships
- Visitors to Sri Lanka should not engage in any form of employment, paid or unpaid, or in any trade or business other than that specified in the visa during their period of stay.
- The visa must be utilized before the date of expiry noted on the visa.
- The validity of visa is subject to entry into Sri Lanka during the indicated entry period.
Applications for extension of all visas should be made to the Department of Immigration of Sri Lanka.
Foreign Students wishing to pursue academic studies in a recognized institution in Sri Lanka should obtain a Student Visa valid up to the duration of the course. Students under 16 years of age can apply for a visa for Parents/guardians to remain in the country.
- Foreign Students intending to study in Sri Lanka should first enrol in a study program
- The Education Institution should apply to the Department of Immigration and Emigration for Entry Visa approval on behalf of the Foreign Student
- The Department of Immigration and Emigration will then notify the nearest Sri Lanka Diplomatic Mission of the Entry Visa approval
- Foreign Student will obtain the Entry Visa endorsement in his/her Passport at the Sri Lanka Diplomatic Mission
- At the port of entry in Sri Lanka, the Immigration may grant entry for a specified period.
- Upon entering Sri Lanka, before the expiry of the Entry Visa endorsed at the port of entry, the passport of the Foreign Student should be referred to the Department of Immigration and Emigration for endorsement of Student Visa.